All the mock drafts on NFL.com, CBSSports, ESPN and Mel Kiper and McShay are all unanimously projecting Kyler Murray to go #1 in the draft. And every single one of them are saying it'll be Arizona that uses their top pick to him, except for one guy at CBS Sports who thinks the Raiders will surprise and trade up to take Murray.. who knows.
This kinda flies in the face of rumors I heard about the Cards wanting to pass on Murray to take Bosa instead. Personally I go back and forth. I think Josh Rosen is a really good QB. Is he a better franchise player than Murray? I really don't know. But with the recent hire of their new coach Kingsbury the thought is Murray will be a better fit. That's probably true.
Murray is supremely talented. But its yet to be seen if that'll translate into the NFL. If they do take Murray they can always trade Rosen or have an excellent back up for a year or so and then trade him or even have try outs for the QB position; not a bad spot to be in. Wouldn't that be interesting if they take Murray but Rosen wins over the coach anyways..
At any rate, wanted to post my top 10 predictions for the first round and then talk about draft results as they come in. The surprises, trade ups, trade downs, what the Giants end up doing, etc. This draft should be more fascinating than most in the last few years, at least for the first round.
Something to consider, the Giants and Patriots have the most picks in this draft at 12 a piece. So they can either draft a ton of guys OR they can levy that capital to move up.
So with that in mind here are my top 10 pick predictions:
1. Arizona Cardinals take Kyler Murray. Yeah, I know. Safe pick. I almost want them to take Bosa but I just don't see how you pass on that level of talent and potential.
2. San Francisco 49ers take Nick Bosa. This is another consensus top #2 pick on all the mocks that don't have teams trading up to get a player.
3. This is where things get interesting to me. It's supposed to be the Jets pick here. But they have already hinted at seriously wanting to trade down. I think Quinnen Williams is the 3rd best in this draft but I could see the Redskins moving up to take QB Haskins here. Haskins is arguably the best QB in the draft and they need one. Makes a lot of sense to me.
4. Oakland Raiders take Quinnen Williams. He'll be the best player available and they should do that. I think Gruden will.
5. Tampa Bay Buccs take Devin White. They need an inside linebacker and he is the best option in the draft this year.
6. NY Giants take.. QB Daniel Jones. That's right, I think Murray and Haskins will be gone and they really like Jones. Eli will play out most the year. And when they are 4-8 or so Jones will take over.
7. Jacksonville Jags take TJ Hockenson. They need a great tight end and that he is. I would like to see this happen anyways.
8. Detroit Lions take Ed Oliver. He will be one of if not the best defensive players left on the board.
9. Buffalo Bills take Montez Sweat. This would somewhat a steal for them. He is projected to go as high as 5 and the Bills could definitely use a talented DE.
10. Denver Broncos take Devin Bush. Or they take QB Drew Lock. But I give the edge to Bush as an inside linebacker will be more immediately helpful to them.