Are you sure you want to delete this post?
Now that we covered facts on the second jewel of the crown, I thought, why not do the same thing for the third. So, what don't we know about the Belmont Stakes? See if any catch you by surprise. Without further ado, here are 12 things to know about the Belmont Stakes before the race begins.
1. The Belmont Stakes is the longest of the three Triple Crown races as well as the oldest.
2. This year will be the first time top trainer Mark Casse has started a horse in the race.
3. Historically, the betting favorite has won the Belmont Stakes 42 percent of the time
4. Triple Crown winners own the two largest winning margins in the Belmont.
5. War of Will could become just the 12th horse to have lost the Kentucky Derby and then gone on to win the Preakness and Belmont, that's if he wins.
6. Tapit has sired (fathered) three of the last five Belmont Stakes winners.
7. Owner Juddmonte Farms has raced three horses in the Belmont Stakes and never finished worse than third.
8. War of Will's jockey, Tyler Gaffalione, will be riding in his first-ever Belmont Stakes this Saturday.
10. Todd Pletcher has more wins in the Belmont than any other trainer in this year’s race.
11. At odds of 70-1, Sarava gave bettors the biggest win payout in the history of the Belmont.
12. Jockey Mike Smith has won the Belmont three times in the last nine runnings.
I think it goes without saying, I'm rooting for War of Will. I'm sure everyone is. I really like to see something like number 5 continue on. What does anyone else think? Was there anything that was surprising in the list?